University education can never be free‚ says SA's statistician-general

Bekezela Phakathi | 17 November, 2016 07:46

South Africa must not deceive itself with the idea of free higher education and should focus on finding a workable model‚ statistician-general Pali Lehohla says.

Higher Education Minister Blade Nzimande announced in September that university fee increases for 2017 would be capped at 8%‚ and poor and "missing middle" students would receive state help to make up for the hike.

This sparked a wave of protests and renewed calls for fees to be scrapped‚ reports Business Day.

– TMG Digital/BusinessLIVE

EXCLUSIVE: ANC implicated in Prasa ‘bribes’

EXCLUSIVE: ANC implicated in Prasa ‘bribes’

EXCLUSIVE: ANC implicated in Prasa ‘bribes’

Johannesburg – Explosive claims that implicate the ANC in benefitting from Prasa’s controversial locomotives deal have been made by chairperson Popo Molefe in court papers.

MDLULI PURSUIT LED TO BREYTENBACH'S SUSPENSION - LAWYER

Barry Bateman | 7 minutes ago

Glynnis Breytenbach is on trial for defeating the ends of justice and contravening provisions of the NPA Act.

PRETORIA - Former prosecutor Glynnis Breytenbach’s defence advocate has suggested she was suspended at the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) because of her insistence that the criminal case against former crime intelligence head Richard Mdluli should proceed. 

The Democratic Alliance (DA) Member of Parliament and her attorney, Gerard Wagenaar, are on trial in the Pretoria North Magistrates Court where they are facing charges of defeating the ends of justice and contravening provisions of the NPA Act. 

The pair allegedly deleted official NPA data from her work laptop in 2012 while she was being investigated for improper conduct in a mining rights case. 

Continued...

Race car driver Gugu Zulu dies on Mount Kilimanjaro

BY STAFF WRITER  JULY 18 2016, 10:56

THE Nelson Mandela Foundation has confirmed that race car driver Gugu Zulu has died while attempting to climb Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania

Zulu and his wife Letshego Zulu were part of the Trek4Mandela expedition.

In a statement released on Monday‚ the Nelson Mandela Foundation announced that Zulu lost his life early on Monday morning while summiting the mountain.

“Details are sketchy. What we do know is that Gugu experienced problems breathing. The medical team supporting the trek put him on a drip and they descended the mountain with him. We are informed that the medical teams tried everything possible to save his life‚” the foundation said.

Oscar Pistorius sentenced to 6 years

2016-07-06 11:00

Paul Herman, News24

Judge Masipa has sentenced murder-convicted Oscar Pistorius to six years in prison, saying his murder trial had many mitigating factors, and a lengthy jail term would not serve justice.

Masipa: "Mr Pistorius please rise.

"In the result, the sentence I impose on the accused in terms of murder dolus eventualis, is six years imprisonment.

"I'd like to thank counsel for their assistance, the officers of the court, and the staff.

"In the meantime, I will adjourn and I'll be in chambers.

"Counsel I'm willing to hear an application for leave to appeal today."

Court is adjourned.

Oscar Pistorius to be sentenced for murder

2016-07-06 05:49

Thomas Hartleb, News24

 

Pretoria – Oscar Pistorius is expected to hear his sentence for murdering Reeva Steenkamp when he appears in the High Court in Pretoria on Wednesday.

His disability and the year he has already spent in jail would be among the factors Judge Thokozile Masipa could use to justify deviating from the minimum of 15 years for murder, a lawyer not involved in the case said on Tuesday.

"My gut feeling is that he'll get 10 years," advocate Marius du Toit said.

On December 3 last year, the Supreme Court of Appeal ordered that the former paralympic athlete be sentenced afresh, after it overturned Masipa's finding that he was guilty of culpable homicide. It replaced her verdict with one of murder.

During sentencing proceedings in June, prosecutor Gerrie Nel asked Masipa to send Pistorius to jail for a minimum of 15 years as he intentionally killed Steenkamp.

Continued...

SABC to implement new TV content policy

Written by: Chanice Jennike

SABC will be implementing their 80% TV content policy from Monday.

 

SABC will be implementing their 80% TV content policy from Monday.

The public broadcaster says that it is more than ready for this policy to roll out.
The 90% local content quota was first implemented in May for radio stations, but was later extended to TV channels.

SABC spokesperson,Kaizer Kganyago told TMG Entertaiment that SABC is extremely excited to see their policy come to life.

He went on saying, “We are definitely ready to implement the changes.In fact, we’ve been ready for a long time – even before we announced the new programming line-up. So, viewers can definitely expect to see new locally-produced content from Monday”.

Many celebrities in SA will also be having their own shows aired now thanks to SABC’s new policy.

Tv personality, Lorna Maseko will be the host of the new culinary reality show, Top Chef SA. Khanyi Mbau and radio personality Phat Joe, will be hosting a show called The Weekend Edition. Anele Mdoda will be the host of a weekly show called Real Talk. The talk show will be aired on week days.

~END~

Istanbul Ataturk airport attack: At least 36 dead and dozens injured

A gun and bomb attack on Istanbul's Ataturk international airport has killed 36 people and injured more than 140, officials say.

Three attackers opened fire near an entry point to the terminal late on Tuesday and blew themselves up after police fired at them, officials say.

Prime Minister Binali Yildirim said early signs suggested the so-called Islamic State was behind the attack.

Recent bombings have been linked to either IS or Kurdish separatists.

Tuesday's attack looked like a major co-ordinated assault, says the BBC's Mark Lowen.

CONTINUED...

British PM David Cameron resigns

WORLD - Friday 24 June 2016 - 9:32am

LONDON - British PM David Cameron has announced his resignation.

Cameron said he would resign as prime minister by October after Britons voted in a referendum to leave the European Union.

"I do not think it would be right for me to be the captain that steers our country to its next destination," he told reporters outside his Downing Street office. 

"There is no need for a precise timetable today, but we should aim to have a new prime minister in place by the start of Conservative conference in October.

"The cabinet will meet on Monday, the governor of the Bank of England is making a statement about the steps it is taking."

Reuters

FlySafair airline apologises for offensive tweet

Deneesha Pillay | 23 June, 2016 12:43

Low-cost airline FlySafair has apologised profusely for a “sarcastic” tweet to a passenger who was trying to get a cheap flight to see her father who she said had cancer.

Candice de Lange (@TokenBlode84)‚ who has since deleted her twitter account‚ expressed her anger after the airline‚ in her view‚ responded sarcastically to her complaint on social media.

De Lange had tweeted‚ with an image‚ that she had been booted off the company's website after being number 4050 in the queue as the airline started selling thousands of R2 air tickets one a first come first serve basis on Thursday.

Fly Safair responded to her by saying “@TokenBlonde84 Congrats! Your the first person to say this is unfair - you win a cap. DM us your address and we'll have it delivered.”

Continued...

Solly Mokoetle found alive in Durban hospital.

22 Jun 2016

 

Former SABC CEO Solly Mokoetle is currently being treated in a Durban hospital where he was discovered this morning – after being reported missing at the weekend.

Mokoetle’s wife had told police he disappeared after meeting someone at the gate of their Umhlanga home late Friday night.

A search was launched and he was discovered in hospital this morning.

It’s understood Mokoetle is on diabetes medication.

KwaZulu Natal Police’s Shooz Magudulela says Mokoetle is in a stable condition and further investigations into how he came to be there are continuing.

Mokoetle is currently the head of the Communications Department’s Broadcasting Digital Migration Project Management Office.

Andrea van Wyk

LIVE: Hall packed as Tshwane mayor Ramokgopa meets ANC members

2016-06-21 14:00

Paul Herman, News24

Tshwane mayor Kgosientso "Sputla" Ramokgopa has arrived at a community hall in Atteridgeville to meet with protesters over the current violence in the city.

LIVE FEED CONTINUES...

Shrewd Aspen bags new drug line

AFRICA’s biggest generic drug maker Aspen Pharmacare is to buy the marketing rights to AstraZeneca’s portfolio of anaesthetic drugs for up to $770m, the latest in a series of deals in which it has sought to gain traction in major markets and drive profits by lifting the performance of other companies’ niche brands.

Aspen’s share surged on Thursday by the most in more than 16 years on the news, gaining 10.3%, the most since April 2000, before closing 9.21% higher at R350.50.

In 2013, Aspen paid GlaxoSmithKline £700m for its thrombosis drugs and an associated manufacturing site in France, gaining entry into Russia.

The same year, it bought 11 brands and a manufacturing plant from Merck for $1bn, which it said at the time would boost its drive into Latin America, Asia-Pacific and eastern Europe.

Article Continued...

Shock as GDP shrinks 1.2%

BY HILARY JOFFE,  09 JUNE 2016, 05:48

SA’s worse than expected economic growth performance in the first quarter of 2016 presages a bleak year ahead.

Statistics SA (Stats SA) data out on Wednesday showed an unexpected contraction in consumer spending and a sharp decline in investment, with mining and transport the biggest drag on growth.

Though economists were reluctant to talk of recession after just one negative quarter, they will revise growth forecasts down after GDP contracted at an annualised 1.2% in the first quarter, down from a positive 0.4% in the fourth quarter of 2015.

The figure was well below the consensus forecast of just a 0.1% shrinkage.

Article Continued...

Britain warns of possible terrorist attacks in South Africa

JOHANNESBURG - The British government said on Monday there is a high threat of attacks against foreigners in shopping areas in South Africa, days after a similar advisory was issued by the United States embassy in Pretoria.

"There is a high threat from terrorism.

"Attacks could be indiscriminate, including in places visited by foreigners such as shopping areas in Johannesburg and Cape Town," the British government said in a statement posted on its website

The office says the threat comes from groups or individuals motivated by the conflict in Iraq and Syria.  

Read: No terror danger for SA – Security Minister

Meanwhile, the US Ambassador says his country will continue to work with South Africa to ensure the safety of its citizens here.

Article Continued...

Deadly clash breaks out between NUM and Amcu on platinum belt

BY ROXANNE HENDERSON  JUNE 06 2016, 10:53

MEMBERS of the National Union of Mineworkers (NUM) and the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (Amcu) have been at loggerheads near a mine in Northam‚ Limpopo, on Monday morning‚ with two reported dead.

The clashes broke out after an NUM member and employee at the Northam Platinum Mine, Mthetheleli Zefunele‚ was murdered on Sunday afternoon. His killer is believed to have fled the scene on foot.

Article Continued...

800 evacuate FNB head office after bomb scare

Matthew Savides | 03 June, 2016 13:49

Police dogs on Friday search First National Bank’s head office in Umhlanga‚ Durban‚ following a bomb scare.

About 800 people work at the newly-built regional headquarters.

An employee‚ who didn’t want to be named‚ confirmed that the building was evacuated at about 11.30am.

“All the staff are outside at the assembly point. SAPS are currently here with the dogs‚" he said at about midday.

He added that there was no sense of panic.

“There was an announcement over the intercom and the alarm went off. We were told to move outside. People aren’t really worried. Everyone is very relaxed‚” he said.

At about 1pm‚ employees were allowed back into the building.

Police spokesman Major Thulani Zwane confirmed the bomb scare‚ but that he did not have further details because police were still investigating.

~END~